Mark Billik founded BeCore in 1999 and was quickly named “Entrepreneur to Watch” in The Sports and Business Journal. Mark began his business by building a sports competency that was launched by creating the first professional in-line skating tour in the United States, Europe, Latin America, and Asia. From there BeCore was on the map and began consulting with major corporations like Red Bull, IMAX, Nike, Microsoft and Sports Illustrated on the development of experiential programming. With the BeCore motto “Whatever It Takes,” Mark strategically built his business around the principles of passion and service and has expanded the agency offering which is now an award winning, full service agency. Mark is a graduate of the University of Hawaii with a degree in Business Administration.
How did you get into the industry?
I created a skating tour in 1994. I saw a need to facilitate booth sponsorship for clients. Then I saw the need to service my clients more than just at my events. I could help brands connect to a core audience by creating an experience or environment that is authentic to client’s core audience. That’s how BeCore was formed.
Any emerging industry trends?
1. Smaller shops-more efficient, more involved in the decision-making process, being nimble, not handed over to larger shops
2. Experiential technology is being used to trace, engage, communicate, and continue a long relationship.
3. Esports-Find the trend where the consumer is going
Any industry opportunities or challenges?
1. TV is an old medium-the outlier produce the best shows-YouTube/streaming services
2. Deliver as much as before for product services
3. Increase in shops and experiential popping up
4. Relationship with consumer has changed in of consumers has changed in marketing the expectations of consumers.
5. Good work matters-quality, not just attributes
Inspiration for the business idea, and your vision for the Business?
1. We are a business who puts people first
2. In a world of digital technology- the human aspect is still important
What's next for the Business in the near future?
1. Adding a COO
2. Organic growth with existing clients
3. Explore the use of more technology and data in the experiential world
4. Looking to engage with a bigger partner not in the space but needs our services
Your key initiatives for the success of the Business?
1. Laser focus on the type of new business we should respond to
2. Continue to define what projects are good business to work on
Your most difficult moment at the Business? (and what did you learn?)
• Shutting down another business we were running
Ideal experience for a customer/client?
1. We are your partner and will do whatever it takes to be successful
2. Be innovative for your clients
3. Listen to what you need
4. Create solutions and opportunities
a. Outline and on budget
5. Enjoy the working experience with BeCore and who you work with
How do you motivate others?
1. Not everyone is motivated by the same things. I try to ask/understand what makes our team members feel valuable
2. Make sure people feel critical to the company’s success
3. Setting a good example with my work effort and care for each team member
Career advice to those in your industry?
1. Be able to listen and learn
2. No shortcuts