Peter Davis was born and raised in Manhattan. He was the Editor of Large at Paper, the Features Director of The Daily Front Row and the Editor in Chief of Avenue before founding SCENE magazine with Observer Media where he is Editor in Chief. Davis' articles have appeared in The New York Times, Vanity Fair, The Wall Street Journal, Vogue and many other publications.
1) How did you get into the publishing industry?
I was an intern at Paper magazine when I was a teenager growing up in New York. I didn't want to work in publishing, but Paper seemed like a cool place to work. I was a painting major in college. I actually never learned to type or took a writing class in my life.
2) Define Success. What does Success mean to you?
Success is loving what you do no matter what that is.
3) What is your favorite travel destination?
Somewhere I have never been before. I just went to Cape Town for the first time and can't wait to go back. A trip to London to shop and see friends always makes me happy.
4) If there were one food and type of drink left on earth, what would that be?
Cotton candy and enormous, Bloomberg-unapproved Big Gulp sized Slushees.
5) What traits do you believe contribute most in your becoming a great Editor-in-Chief?
I am good at finding talented people to work with.
6) What's next for your magazine?
Joe Jonas is on our next cover. I just came back from shooting him in LA. I met Joe during Fashion Week. He was the nicest person I've ever been on set with. And our website was just relaunched and looks sleek and chic. www.scenemag.com
7) Who is your role model, either living or past, whose beliefs you would like to emulate?
I'd like to have the moral fortitude of Nelson Mandela and the closet of Pharrell Williams.
8) What reading material is on your bed stand?
Arianna Huffington's new book thrive - I am mentioned in it but I haven't reached that part yet.